Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why this Blog?

I am a curator at the International Quilt Study Center & Museum (IQSCM), a research center and museum that is part of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL). I did my graduate work here at UNL in Textile History and Museum Studies in the Department of Textiles, Merchandising & Fashion Design and have been a curator at the IQSCM since 2001.

I am also a PhD student in the Department of Museum Studies at the University of Leicester in the UK. I'm doing my degree by distance learning and once a year I get to travel to England to check in with my adviser (hopefully to have her say, "well done!"). The focus of my research is One Hundred Good Wishes Quilts, quilts made to welcome adopted children from China into their new families.

The Kainz Family of Tracy, MN
I started this blog because I want to connect with more people who have made a One Hundred Good Wishes Quilt (OHGWQ). Or to people who have started a OHGWQ and not finished it. Or to people who have participated in a OHGWQ project. Or to people who are simply interested in quilts and/or China and/or adoption. So really, to anyone.
 
I've had the pleasure of emailing with many OHGWQ makers and will be doing interviews with more quilt makers over the next several months. People like Jen and Jason Kainz have been so gracious about telling me their quilt story and I hope to gather many more stories as my project continues. Please get in touch if you have a story to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment